Thursday, July 28, 2011

Three Sisters' Busy Day


8 am, yesterday morning.



This is the second year I have grown everlasting daisies and I'm thoroughly enjoying learning more about these fascinating Australian native flowers. My recent photo post following the development of a single flower over seven weeks doesn't tell the complete story. Equally marvellous is the daily opening and closing of each flower.

9 am
10 am
11 am
12 noon
1 pm
2 pm
3 pm
4 pm
5 pm
6 pm
7 pm
8 pm
7 am this morning!

 Yesterday I decided to take photos every hour in an attempt to really see what was happening. Remember this particular plant is growing in a shady, damp spot during our winter. Their preferred conditions are sandy soil, full sun during the warmer seasons.You can click on any of the above images for a closer look -well worth it, you will see the dew drops and finer details.

The flowers appear to respond to both humidity and light. In wet weather and on humid overcast days the flowers remain tightly closed, or at least as tightly shut as their current maturity level allows. Even the dried flowers (which can last a couple of years) tend to close a little in damp conditions, reopening when dry in bright light.

Come spring I plan to buy some more seedlings, they are a very hardy plant which is perfect for our garden!

12 comments:

Jill said...

These are just the neatest flower! I enjoy seeing the progression of their day.

Hootin Anni said...

What a fascinating and aMAZing flower!!!! I'm wondering now, if they'd grow in our area of Texas?!!! Lovely.

I always enjoy you visiting with me...thanks for stopping by for my Ruby Tuesday/Picstory Tuesday post.


My Thursday Post Link: Nor-r-r-r-m!!!

Cary said...

What an interesting flower. I love daisies, but have never heard of these. Thanks for sharing such a fun "day" of watching daisies!

Reena said...

Enjoy watching their progress!

Christie describeHappy said...

Pretty neat to see them move and open and close as time passed. Great photos!

Anonymous said...

WOW! That's wonderful attempt on phase of flowers. I enjoyed every pic on this series. Great!!

Very nice being here :)

Gail Dixon said...

Such an interesting flower! So frilly and girly looking. Love it!

Gina Kleinworth said...

WOW- those are AMAZING!

Unknown said...

so interesting to see the progress throughout the day!

Robin Norgren, M.A, R-YT, Spiritual Director said...

what a lovely way you told this story- thank you.

Unknown said...

I loved both of these posts! :)

Seeing Each Day said...

Such a lovely idea to take these series of shots. And of course you know I'm thinking in teacher mode - what a brilliant visual for a plant lesson!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...