Friday, July 26, 2019

Country Style Hexies Quilt



Some things make you feel happy just by looking at them - and this quilt is one of those special things for me. Working on my 'Country Style Hexies' quilt has been quite a journey, spanning more than three and a half years as one of my 'occasional projects'. A few days ago I added the last stitches to the edge binding, marking the end of this quilt's making stage. Below is this quilt's story, mostly in photos.

My travel sewing kit (an old chocolate tin) which easily slots in my handbag - perfect for waiting rooms, while out at children's sport etc.



The inspiration behind this quilt is shared here - way back in December 2015. The hexagons are 1 1/2" (length of each side) which is quite a common size and well suited to the scale of these fabrics. I chose to thread baste these hexagons using a little back stitch on the back of each corner fabric fold, which enables the paper templates to be removed without undoing the stitches. Leaving the basting stitches in place helps keep the reverse side neat and sitting flat.




The hexies were stitched together into small manageable blocks which were later sewn into rows, then finally into a whole large panel/piece.

The papers from surrounded hexies have been removed - however papers in the edging hexies are still in place to allow further stitching.



I had thought I would finish at this size above, then I discovered I had a little more fabric of most prints and decided to extend both sides to make a more usable single bed size quilt *.



Above you can see I have temporarily attached narrow strips of the white spotted fabric to the edges of the completed hexagon panel using large machine stitches. I then carefully appliquéd the edges of the panel to the white border strips, using some small dots of soluble glue from a glue pen to keep the points in place while I stitched. After the appliqué was completed I removed the machine stitches.


Additional grey borders ready for machine sewing to the edges.

All the quilt layers thread basted together, ready for hand quilting.


I used Gutermann Sulky 12w cotton thread for the hand quilting. This thread is soft like a perle 8 cotton thread, however it is finer and easier to use. I wanted the quilting to be visible and give nice texture, without being bold and detracting from the fabrics. The entire quilt required just over one reel of this thread. 





I use waxed quilting thread, doubled, for hand stitching my bindings onto the quilt back.


The pieced quilt back.



My Country Style Hexies quilt is happily at home in our open living area for now, so I can enjoy catching glimpses of it each day. Seeing all those pretty colours and favourite prints brings joy to my heart, just as they did over the many, many hours, years and life seasons during which I enjoyed cutting, basting, stitching and hand quilting.

* Finished quilt size - 62" x 88" (157cm x 223).

12 comments:

diane b said...

I know nothing about quilting but this sounds like an amazing accomplishment. Well done and I'm glad that you are keeping it as it must have many memories sewn into it as well.It is just beautiful and a wonderful piece of art.

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Thank you Diane. It has taken time but not so much as more intricate quilts can. I took my time, stitching for pleasure, knowing there was no rush. Yes, lots of memories of various chapters of life which passed during the construction of the quilt.

Karen

Kim said...

I understand perfectly, Karen, how your beautiful hexie quilt would make your heart happy each time you look at it. It oozes pretty colour and pattern. There is just something about a hexie quilt which makes the heart beat a little faster. A most exquisite finish!

Susan said...

What a beautiful, beautiful quilt Karen! You have every right to be proud of this delightful family heirloom. Thanks for sharing the process too. The photos are a great reminder of your quilting (and life) journey!

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Thank you Kim - you have an amazing eye for beauty and appreciation of sewing. Lovely to hear from you again.

Karen

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Thank you Susan. I do love the record which blogging allows - I often refer back to it for dates and details.

Karen

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a lovely quilt! I love the fabrics used, it is a happy, homey quilt, one to bring you much joy. Your work is exquisite as always. Such patience you have.

Have a wonderful weekend ~ FlowerLady

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Thank you Lorraine. You also have great patience. :)

Karen

christine said...

Wonderful! So bright and cheerful. This inspires me to start a long & slow project. A journey. Thanks for sharing.

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Hi Christine,

Slow projects make wonderful companions - especially those you can pull out seasonally as you feel motivated to continue again - just for the pleasure of it.

Karen

Liz said...

Such a beautiful quilt, Karen! A definite labour of love and a keepsake for sure!

LisaS said...

This quilt is a classic and so beautiful! Amazing to think of everything you put into it, well worth it for sure. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...