Tuesday, May 28, 2013

A Singing Heart




The quiet joy of anticipation bubbled over into great excitement yesterday when the mail man left a package at our front door. I knew straight away it was much more than the mentioned nondescript "little something". Look what was inside! A beautiful copy of Sarah Fielke's new book Hand Quilted with Love, thoughtfully wrapped in a fat quarter of Sarah's latest fabric range. Even the cotton twine matches, half of which has been squirrelled away already by one of my teenage daughters (just spotted some around an ankle...).




Sarah's book is about far more than hand quilting, in fact several of the 16 quilts shared in this book have no hand quilting on them at all. There is a great variety of designs, something for every level of experience, all beautifully photographed and presented.




Quoting from Sarah's Introduction: 


Try new things, be adventurous, and crack your own quilting code. 
Don't be hung up on whether something is right or wrong, 
or on whether you are a "modern quilter", a "traditional quilter" 
or even an "art quilter": 
just be a QUILTER, be creative and love what you do.


Sound advice for many areas of life.....





Most of my quilts contain a lot of different fabrics. 
I don't usually use one or two greens when I can use 30.....
I don't ever get stuck finding that PERFECT fabric. 
(Sarah, page 8)




So where did this wonderful parcel come from? From someone I've never met who lives hundreds of miles/km away, the very thoughtful, generous and talented Bloom whom some of you no doubt already know. As well as being a devoted wife and mother, Bloom stitches beautifully, designs, quilts, sews, blogs, produces unique project articles for Australian Homespun magazine and has the most amazing garden.

With my parcel came the discovery that Bloom also makes beautiful cards! Filled with kind words Bloom's card sits here on my Sunlit Treasure quilt which I made from Sarah Fielke's previous book Quilting from Little Things (North by North East design). 

No wonder my heart is singing! Thank you Bloom!

15 comments:

Adrianne @ On the Windy Side said...

Sounds like just the thing to make your day! My copy of this book arrived on Friday and I had a lovely leaf through it on Friday night in bed with a cup of tea. I too love Sarah's philosophy around just being a quilter!

Giga said...

To bardzo miłe i cenne otrzymać piekny, niespodziewany i wspaniały prezent od przyjaciela blogowego. Pozdrawiam.
This is a very nice and beautiful precious receive an unexpected and wonderful gift from a friend of blogging. Yours.

Fun60 said...

I love your passion for quilting. It has made me think that if I am ever blessed with grandchildren then tackling a small quilt just might be on the cards.

Susan said...

What a wonderful surprise! I hope you enjoy your new book and it takes you on a fabulous quilting journey!

Rosemary said...

What a special and thoughtful gift to receive. The card is beautiful - such a simple, lovely design, but cleverly enhanced by the little cutout.

Jeanne said...

Such a lovely and special gift to a very special person!

Aritha V. said...

Surprise for you. I think it is in amazing book for quilt-lovers. You may be proud with it.

Beautiful card.

Sharon - Lilabelle Lane said...

Popping by to say thank you for the lovely comment you left on Quilt Story for my Medallion Quilt, Thank you. hugs Sharon

Saskia said...

What a pretty inspiring blog! I just found you by clicking on your comment on Abby's blog and I must say I'm glad I did. I'll be back again.

Han said...

That is so cool. Very pretty.

Rosemary said...

Most wonderful of all is that you appreciate and celebrate this gift for all that it means and offers.

Elise Lea said...

How wonderful and thoughtful! I love to see the kindness of others. I hope you enjoy your special gift and that it continues to inspire your wonderful sewing and quilting!

Unknown said...

Dear Karen,
What a lovely trip to the mailbox. Wrapping a gift like this book is the frosting on the cake. I'm sure you wanted to savour the moment before unwrapping. What lovely looking quilts. I have one my SIL (also named Karen) made for me. I will treausre it always..Beautiful workmanship...

Liz said...

What a gorgeous gift!! How wonderful!

marmarel said...

This book looks great to me, enjoy it! And its a very beautiful postcard. And wow, your own quilt, I like the colors!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...