Thursday, July 17, 2014

Whispers of Royal








Royal Whispers is now at the finished quilt top stage and I love how it shimmers in the light.

A week or so back when I placed the almost-completed rows beside each other they just didn't sit well. Too much colour and busyness. This brought me back to the same question I had when I first pulled these fabrics together. With the help of Miss O, who has an eye for these things, I went searching for something special in a blue/navy/?? to place between the rows. I brought home two contenders, one of which proved to be too dark. The Royal Arabesque Satin, of which the shop had only 1/4 of a yard left, was voted the winner. 

Yesterday I started sewing the rows to the royal sashing with a width of 2 1/2" but found the blue over-powering, it was shouting rather than whispering. Out came the quick unpick/reverse stitcher. Today I tried a 3/4" sashing strip which seems to be just the right amount to let the rows do the talking.

Basting and quilting will be something of a pleasant challenge. I have a few ideas but the answers will work themselves out as progress is made.


Sharing at WIP Wednesday, I Quilt.


22 comments:

Erin said...

It is very Royal:) actually reminds me of Indian colours:)

Fun60 said...

That royal blue works wonders in bringing it all together. Well done Miss O.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Wow, I love how this quilt is turning out. That bit of blue is just right. This is a wonderful creation of yours.

FlowerLady

eileeninmd said...

What a lovely quilt, the royal blue looks lovely.. Well done! Have a great day!

flowersandhome said...

Love to read how the progress on your wonderful royal whispers quilt goes. To take a step backwards is sometimes a must isn't it and then to make it better, so you're feeling satisfied with the result, and the result is so pretty, just the right amount of blue. Love it. Already looking forward to the quilting you'll do to give it the finish it deserves.
Marian

Elise Lea said...

Beatiful! That dark sashing added just the touch it needed to tie the whole thing together. At first I thought they were sewn together using piping, but those thin strips are just perfect. I look forward to seeing more!

SarahZ said...

Mmmm! this is the biggest peek yet! I love wee strips/borders! It really looks spectacular!

Michelle said...

This is a beautiful combination of colors and I do love that little bird.

the momma said...

gorgeous!!

Unknown said...

Dear Karen
It is so full of vitamins and vitality. I love to look at it...

JetteMajken

Mary Anne Drury said...

BEAUTIFUL !!! Love the colors !

Susan said...

Looks like the perfect solution Karen! It is glowing!

Lisa Gordon said...

Miss E does indeed have a good eye!
I love this, Karen.

Kim said...

Your Royal Whispers is glowing with shimmering delight. Miss 'O's and your choice of Royal Arabesque Satin was indeed an inspired choice!!

Dorothy said...

Excellent choice. I love how it brings the piece together and you sure did 'listen' well to those options. :)

Mary Huey said...

It's getting more sumptuous with every stitch, Karen!!

EricaSta said...

It's a great pleasure to see now the whole quilt: It's so fantastic!
The different colours are working together in the quilt.

Greetings by Heidrun

Unknown said...

Oh! First off - I saw your heading picture and LOVE IT! Then I read your intention about enjoying the moments and I felt a tear nudge the corner of my eye! THEN I saw your great shiny happy yummy quilt! THANK YOU for sharing!

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Good choice . . . the narrow blue works perfectly with all those lush prints.

Anonymous said...

Oh my word, this is gorgeous. The jewel-tone blue is the perfect color to frame each row!

Laura Delegal - Leroy Photography said...

You pulled it out? If this is what you put in, I like it very much.

Seeing Each Day said...

I never thought I'd be able to say this in terms of commenting about quilting but, I understand what you're saying by needing to put a block of colour between the squares - that makes sense with the abundance of colours in the quilt so far. I think the colour you've chosen is spot on. This quilt from my vantage point, even though I appreciate has still taken lots of thought and hours, has seemed to have glided together so smoothly. And I really love the silver thread and how you proportioned and cleverly used it at various spots. If I can be so bold to say, I think this experience has brought out a certain (polite) but definite voice from within you. Renee

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...