Monday, August 25, 2014

Royal Whispers Serenading










 From the day of selecting my mixed swag of favourite bright stash fabrics to the last stitches on the shot taffeta binding two days ago, working on this quilt has given me great pleasure. To the mix of shot taffetas, oriental brocade, organza, polycotton, satin, voile and cottons I added a variety of ribbons, braids and fringed taffeta selvedges.






Various decorative cottons, rayons, metallics and Sliver threads in several colours/thicknesses have added their individual charms through both hand and machine stitching. There are little surprises stitched into this quilt to add fun and interest for the eyes. The Sulky Gutermann Sliver thread in silver has ended up being the star thread and also the one chosen for the soft straight line echo quilting. 

Every fabric, trim, thread and even the batting had to pass my 'softness' test to be included. If I didn't love it, I didn't include it. This quilt, named Royal Whispers, has been a special project made during a very difficult season, designed to bring delight my heart, my fingers and my eyes, the first quilt made just for me.










Miss N bashfully holding Royal Whispers for a photo shoot this morning



This quilt makes me happy every time I catch a glimpse of it. The sparkle, sheen and colours beckon me to reach out and touch the various fabrics and gently wrap myself in it.



Sharing at Fabric Tuesday and Fabric Frenzy Friday.


26 comments:

Susan said...

Your beautiful quilt will continue to delight and bring pleasure for many, many years! It is stunningly beautiful Karen!

SarahZ said...

What a beauty! It has been such a treat to see this one progress. So happy for you!

maryandpatch.blogspot.com said...

Congratulations! Such a beautiful and precious quilt!
I hope you find happy moments, wrapped in it!

Renee said...

This quilt definitely looks royale! Very pretty colors and ribbons! I love the little quilting details.

DeborahGun said...

no wonder this makes you happy Karen. What a stunning work of art :-)

Diane AZ said...

Delightful quilt! I love the variety and harmony of all the different materials. :)

EricaSta said...

Dear Karen, what a wonderful stitchwork you have made. The quilt is fantastic. I like the colours!

Wish you a very good week!

Mary Huey said...

A lovely finish, Karen -- hope the comfort it has already brought to you continues to spread into other parts of your life!

Janneke said...

How beautiful!!! Royal Whispers is the wonderful result of your creative mind. Hope you will continue having many years of pleasure of the softness, sparkle and colours of the beautiful fabrics.

the momma said...

Oh, Karen!It is just stunning!! I would love to see this quilt in person and run my fingers over all the lovely stitches and surprises and sigh deeply.
I am so happy that in the midst of this trying time, you have had a small oasis of joy and peace.
Many blessings, sweet friend ~ Tracy

Giga said...

Lugar interesante para ver, como este. Saludo a usted.

Unknown said...

I get so delighted to look at all the strong, subtile colors on your blog!
Hugs
JetteMajken

geanina said...

beautiful images! :)

Leeloo said...

Emerveillement devant tout cela...

Lisa Gordon said...

Karen, this is just gorgeous, and the fact that you made it just for you, makes it even more special.

Barb said...

That is a happiness quilt for sure. The colors you chose plus the design and textures are just right. Seeing it (and your smiling daughter) made me happy, too.

Michelle said...

That quilt is so vibrant and full of love!

Carla said...

Oh wow. This is so so beautiful. The saturated colour is delicious

Andrea @ Mouse in My Pocket said...

This is lovely. Mixing fabrics is so fun.

Rosemary said...

Royal Indeed! Your colour choices are bold, commanding, capturing my attention. Thank you for the close up photos, I enjoy every image, detail and stitch. Simply joyous :)

Julie said...

Just beautiful - loving all those rich jewel tones. It looks very bohemian.

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen! What a beautiful and happy quilt! Fantastic colour and Fabrics! x Teje

Liz said...

What an absolutely divine quilt! Your best yet I think.

Rachaeldaisy said...

Royal Whispers is a truly beautiful and special quilt!! You can see the thought and work that is in your beautiful stiches. The rich colours and different fabrics are so evocative.

Wendy @ Wendysquiltsandmore said...

I love the colours in this quilt, and the fabrics look extra special too. You deserve to smile each time you see it.

Lynne said...

Oh wow! Oh my! That is stunning!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...