Monday, February 22, 2016

Spring Breeze Checkerboard Quilt








 There's a sense of satisfaction but also sadness to finish working with these beautiful fabrics. With around fifty different quilting fabrics from my stash, including a sprinkling of organic cottons, the sewing has been a great pleasure. Many of the fabrics are the same as Miss C's quilt and the dimensions are the same - each square is 2 1/2" with a completed size of approximately 40" x 60". I followed Rita's (Red Pepper Quilts) tutorial, beginning by cutting my fabric into pieces 3" x 13".


I used the last of my supply of Pressed Leaves in Pink for the back, an organic cotton by Cloud 9 from Sarah Watson's Biology collection. In fact I had to add a strip of checkerboard blocks to make it stretch far enough. I have since ordered some more of this timeless favourite, as many fabric collections are only available for a relatively short time.


The quilting follows the seam lines, a technique called quilting in the ditch, which allows the fabrics to be the dominant feature. The batting is Hobb's Organic cotton from Texas.

This quilt is now listed (sold) in my Etsy shop, adding some much needed pink!



13 comments:

Rachaeldaisy said...

That is such a pretty quilt showing a lovely collection of fabrics.

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Thank you Rachael, I really appreciate your words.

Elizabeth said...

I love the back of the quilt almost as much as the front. Such a happy quilt!

Giga said...

She was very labor intensive. A lot of the squares. The effect is pretty quilt. Regards.

the momma said...

beautiful!! Netorious is the perfect binding fabric, I think, and the color you chose is spot on for this springy quilt. lovely.

the momma said...

p.s. I love the addition of the daisy to your tag! (speaking of your tag / label ~ have you told us about them and I missed it??)

Susan said...

Very pretty. I like the back as much as the front!

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Hi Tracy, I mentioned these labels last year in this post
http://piecesofcontentment.blogspot.com.au/2015/01/coming-home.html

I have since ordered some more in the natural/cream colour offered but they are somewhat yellow.

It was fun to add a little stitching to it.

And thanks for the comment regarding my binding choice. The Netorious does work very well and the colour (Toy Boat) is beautiful and soft. I may have to order some more of this fabric too!

Julie said...

Such a pretty quilt. Love that leaf print you used for the backing.

Unknown said...

This makes me think of a beautiful summer day, Karen.
Each of your quilts is so very beautiful, and I so appreciate you sharing them here with us.

Anita Johnson said...

I need to visit your etsy shop... I don't think I have. This is another beauty!

Jeanne said...

Love that pressed leaves fabric! These organic fabrics are so light and lovely

Jeanne said...

Love that butterfly and what a beautiful ( if pesky) caterpillar that is!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...