It has been a week of glorious warm autumn days. The everlasting daisies continue their daily opening and closing while the ferns which grow like weeds in shady spots around our garden are enjoying respite from summer's heat. Our new Paradise Vanessa camellias are beginning to show their true form with a beautiful flurry of ruffles and many buds holding promises for the weeks ahead.
Yesterday some of our younger local homeschool students enjoyed a morning of leaf identification and rubbings at a favourite park while the older children participated in a chemistry workshop. Miss E found the ducks even more interesting than the leaves - especially the brightly coloured ones. This is the same park we visited last week and I was pleased to find the Orange Marmalade grevillea buds now in full bloom - such an unusual native, with a delicious name too!
On the sewing front, I have been revisiting Peaceful Night, a long term, hand pieced quilt which I hand quilted in silk threads, finally finishing in October 2014. I have since discovered that the polyester batting I used beards badly (fibres work their way through the fabric and pill on the quilt surfaces). As this quilt had only been washed once and barely used, it was still looking excellent and I had pondered leaving it as it, keeping it as a wall quilt - but I have no suitable wall space to enjoy it on. The same batting was used in my Musical Stairs quilt which is in daily use and has bearded badly. With so many dark and rich tones in Peaceful Night the pilling would become vey noticeable and spoil the quilt, so with a long term view in mind, early last week I took the plunge began deconstructing the quilt. This time I have chosen my favourite Hobbs organic cotton batting and a beautiful fresh length of organic fabric for the backing - from Nancy Mims' Pick a Bunch collection bought in 2011. I am almost half through hand quilting, again using the same lustrous thick silk threads. Times like this I am very pleased to have bought extra supplies of favourite fabrics and threads while they were available.