Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Beautiful November
























With an ever changing mix of friendly familiar, new beginnings and fresh challenges, our Spring days are fast disappearing. We've not grown foxgloves before, as our climate is quite warm but when we saw some seedling at the nursery a few months ago we decided to give them a try. Only one has flowered, gradually opening and developing rich colours over the course of a couple of weeks. Quite a fascinating and beautiful flower, I hope to plant some again next year.

Cricket is a constant focus through the summer months for most of our children and now our youngest, Miss E (8) is also participating - and loving it! 

The purple jacaranda trees bloom for a few short weeks each spring. Our town has hundreds of jacaranda trees and an annual week-long festival centred around them. They sure do make the town very pretty. Grace had opportunity to perform at three events during the week, enjoying each one.

I have made a selection of drawstring bags which I have added to my Etsy shop, along with optional sets of blank greeting cards which I've had professionally printed using my photos. A combination of sewing and photography which I have thoroughly enjoyed working on.

My birthday came and went in a blink - but I still have a little of the gifted artisan Cicada chocolate left to savour, chosen at a market in Circular Quay, Sydney, and hand delivered (thank you my older daughters!).

World War I was the focus for our homeschool History studies this term - making a visited to our local Memorial Park on Remembrance Day much more meaningful.

Last but not least - we caught sight of the supermoon late last night when the cloud cover cleared. It was noticeably brighter and whiter than usual. I find it quite interesting to notice the difference angle/terrain of moon photos taken from the northern as opposed to mine* in the southern hemisphere. We live in an amazing universe.


 *Photographic Note: I used my DSLR with 55-250 kit lens. I was leaning the camera against a balcony post for stability, set to manual mode with ISO at 100, f/11, 1/125 speed. As I shoot in RAW I then edited as follows - Crop, sharpen, increase definition and contrast until I liked the result.

Sharing at Our World Tuesday.


16 comments:

chica said...

Flores, fotos e momentos maravilhosos! um beijo,tudo de bom,chica

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What wonderful photos! I love foxgloves, and grew some tropical white ones a few years back.

Those Jacaranda trees are beautiful, we have them here also.

May you have lots of sales in your Etsy shop.

Great pics of your girls doing things they love.

I did not get to see the Super Moon, as it was cloudy here.

Belated 'Happy Birthday'.

Have a great week. Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

Giga said...

Hello. Joy to look at the spring in your country. Blooming purple trees are stunning. I am glad that she continued playing and singing, as it will for her and for you great pleasure. Regards.

Unknown said...

Oh, Karen, these photographs are just beautiful!
I love your cards, and of course, those wonderful little gift bags that you made.
We do not have Jacaranda trees here (I don't think), but I think they are the most beautiful trees. It must be so amazing to have a whole festival planned around their bloom. So special.

Have a wonderful week, my friend.
xo.

amanda said...

Indeed an amazing universe! So glad to be here catching up on your blog, Karen. Always a joy to take in your photos and words, and the happenings of your family.

ellen b said...

Wonderful things and sights in your world. I grew up in an area of Southern California that had streets lined with Jacaranda Trees. So pretty when they bloom and so messy, too. Some day I might understand Cricket!

Michelle said...

Foxgloves are a favorite of mine. I have to say that your moon shot is superb. Happy belated birthday!

Fun60 said...

A wonderful series of photos which show the sheer joy for life your family exudes.

Marijke said...

Beautiful photo’s Karen!
Wow the detail on that moon!

We had one foxgloves coming up as well, we enjoyed it immensely,
but also here, only come came up from the punnet.

I hope you’ve made a deal with the tourist information centre!
The cards are absolutely stunning!
Wont you be selling them in your Etsy shop?

Erin said...

As always just love your pictures, so crisp and powerful.
Thanks for your moon setting tip, thanks to you I finally got decent shots of the moon, rather giddy.

Anita Johnson said...

Wow....that says it all...love foxgloves....your cards, those amazing purple trees.. wow, again

CountryMum said...

I always delight in seeing your photos and ready your posts. Love that you are printing your photos for cards. Your photos are certainly deserving on being on many greeting cards sent all around the world. I hope you sell a lot!!

diane b said...

Beautiful photos as usual. I can imagine how colourful your city must be with all the jacaranda trees. The little one has developed a professional batting style. Sisters are good teachers. Love your bags and cards. Good luck with them.

Rachaeldaisy said...

It's great to see photos of your beautiful November. Your cards are wonderful, I hope you sell lots and spread beauty every where they go, such a great idea to add drawstring bags as well.

Julie said...

I would love to see all those Jacaranda flowering in real life - so beautiful. Did your boys play cricket too, or is it just the girls? Happy belated birthday - guess that means you are a Scorpio like me.
Have a fabulous weekend.

Jeanne said...

It is fascinating to see the difference in the moon landscape! I love seeing your photos against the beautiful fabrics. Have really enjoyed catching up a bit with you and seeing what is going on in your lives. You are such an inspiration!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...