Friday, August 13, 2021

Rivendell Quilt


It's time to share some recent quilt finishes! Sewing is a thread which winds through most of my weeks, whether it be making myself needed clothes, or more often, working on a long term quilt project.

In mid December Hayley of Spring Daisy Stitchery approached me about pattern testing for her upcoming Rivendell Quilt, a machine pieced and English Paper Piecing (EPP) appliqué combination quilt. It's a design which can look quite different according to your fabric choices and placement. 

The no-fuss, EPP component was just right for the busy holiday season ahead so I said 'Yes'. Being mid-summer I decided on a cool gelato palette set against clean white. All the colours are homespun fabrics selected at my local Spotlight, however I chose to use sturdier, higher quality Kona cotton for the white background. 


The simple stitching of the EPP flowers was a pleasure, just right for the busy Christmas season and also for our trip away to Tamworth for the girl's cricket in January. I'm much more content spectating for four days of cricket if I have some stitching to keep my hands occupied! I also took some other quilting projects with me - more on that soon. (The blue fabrics were purchased at Stitches Between the Bridges, my treat for the week.)

 





I chose to hand appliqué the EPP flowers to their backgrounds instead of machine sewing. Once appliquéd I carefully cut away the background fabric so it wouldn't show through the EPP and to remove the extra bulk, especially with regards to the machined seams.



In keeping with the summer feel of the quilt, I used a new white flannelette sheet for the middle layer, instead of batting/wadding. I machine quilted the outline of the block stars, then hand quilted the EPP flowers.



"We'll use it until it's old and faded and stained" said one teen daughter. "I hope so" was my reply 😊 The plan is for my Rivendell Quilt to be an everyday quilt for the media room. Just the right size for one or two and a lovely light weight quilt, perfect for at least half the year in our climate. This is a pattern which comes together very quickly compared to most EPP quilts - which also means I am more than happy for it to be freely used however the family wishes.


Quilt Details

Rivendell Quilt pattern by Spring Daisy Stitchery

57"/145cm square

Started December 2020

Finished February 2021

Homespun solids and Kona White

Cotton flannel (new bedsheet) for middle layer

Hand quilting - Sulky 12wt in white

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...