Friday, June 14, 2013

Blue Bird Mini Quilt






The love a particular fabric often inspires my next project. Some of you will remember I originally had bigger plans for this gorgeous blue bird fabric, part of Gennine Zlatki's Alegria fabric range however sometimes less is more, even with quilting.




In addition to hand quilting around the fabric frames of each block, I have also added half a dozen little quilting crosses dotted through the large block to secure it. These are the same little crosses which I worked out and used throughout the large centre panel of my Sunlit Treasure quilt (seen below).




Since completing this quilt last month I have replaced the original garden stick hanger with a piece of dowel from the hardware store which helps it to hang more exactly. Completed size is 23" x 25".




Perched outside this afternoon the quilt looked quite at home amongst the trees. The air is filled with the sound of real birds (more of those in my next post), enjoying the warm start to winter in our part of Australia.

As for those little leftover orphan blocks, they are still sitting in my fabric cupboard waiting for further inspiration and time......


Sharing at the Modern Mini Quilt Challenge.


20 comments:

Adrianne @ On the Windy Side said...

Such a sweet fresh mini quilt. I love that fabric too :-)

Susan said...

I'm jealous of your 'warm' start to winter! All we've had is rain! Your fabric choices for your mini are perfect!

Saskia said...

What a pretty quilt, my daughter Eloise wants to make a quilt and I' m trying to persuade her to start with something small. We have has a mild start to winter in Brizzy but lots of rain and even a thunder storm on Wednesday night.

Marja said...

wow how clever and beautiful You are a great artist

geanina said...

beautiful!
have a nice weekend!:)

serendipity said...

What an interesting blog. It's great to see a bit of life on the other side of the world! xx

chica said...

Lindo demais!Adoro ver teus trabalhos!beijos,chica

Karen Lakis said...

This is so pretty - such a stunning design, Karen. I love that little bluebird!

DeborahGun said...

such a beautiful mini quilt - there is a lot to be said for simplicity :-)

Marilyn said...

A beautiful panel and you have created a beautiful hanging from it.

Tonia said...

Simple quilts are always my favorite. I love it!

Scrapatches said...

This is sew sweet. I love the blue bird fabric ... :) Pat

Cary said...

This is such a beautiful quilt, Karen! I love the color against the white!

amanda said...

Karen, your bluebirds just make me feel happy!
I may or may not have mentioned to you before, our dear, life-long, wonderful friend Violet, who's work was done here on earth & left us this spring, gave me a hand blown glass blue bird, called the Bluebird of Happiness - years ago, I don't recall - for my highschool graduation? A wedding shower? She was there for all of my life events, from confirmation, to my children being born. Anyway - it is this exact color of blue, and that little bird still sits in my kitchen. It, and the colors & birds of your quilts, make me smile inside & out.

Elise Lea said...

Fantastic! I love the new pictures, and I am so glad you entered it in the Modern Mini Quilt challenge!

Kim said...

Your little blue bird mini quilt will add a smile to the dullest day! 'Tis very sweet!

Giga said...

Śliczny jest wzór z kwiatkami i ptaszkami na mini kołdrze. Całość uroczo wygląda. Pozdrawiam.
Lovely is a pattern of flowers and birds on a mini quilt. Active charming looks. Yours.

Jennifer Mathis of Ellison Lane said...

Thanks for entering the Modern Mini Challenge! Very sweet little mini!

hawknitr13 said...

cute, cute, cute!!!
^)^ linda

Anonymous said...

This is a pretty little quilt.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...