Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Musical Stairs




A little chain piecing is being done as I make a start on a new quilt, this time for our 15 year old twins' bed.






One of our twins looked through my quilt books in search of something she liked. This was one she chose which both her twin and I also liked, plus I knew it would be fun and easy to make. It's called The Bass Line from Sarah Fielke's new book Hand Quilted With Love - I think I'll call mine Musical Stairs.

In her book Sarah explains a little of the history of this beautiful quilt -
This quilt is very special, and although I designed it, I didn't actually make it. 
Each block was made for my friend Amy by quilters and bloggers from all over the world.

You can read more about Amy and this quilt in Sarah's book (and also Bloom's comment below - thank you Bloom).


10" lengths at the back, smaller strips at the front - all 2" wide

After reading Sarah's instructions I decided to make the quilt a little differently, using her photos as inspiration. I'm in the process of cutting many 2" strips from my fabric stash as well as white. From each strip I have cut four 10" lengths. The 10" lengths are being paired together, one white to each print, chain pieced both along both the top and bottom with right sides together (first photo).





Each 10" pair is then randomly "opened" and positioned for cutting to make two finished "stairs" of varying height.




Each end fold is trimmed off.




This results in two "stairs" for each chain pieces pair without any wastage. This works very well except for fabric which has a directional print. The directional prints as well as smaller pieces of fabric from my scraps are individually sewn to a long white strip and trimmed to result in a finished length of around 9". I'm sewing seams which are slightly wider than 1/4" for greater durability.






Each stair is then ironed with seam allowances to the print side. I'm hoping the twins will become involved in the sewing, or at least in arranging the stairs ready for sewing into blocks when the time comes.

Sharing at WIP Wednesday.


38 comments:

Joy said...

I am sure it will be beautiful quilt when it is finished. You are very patient with your work.

Sylvia K said...

I, too, know that it will be a beautiful quilt!! I do admire your patience and the lovely things you create for your family! Hope your week is going well!

diane b said...

Oops sorry I just posted a comment when I was logged in to our Camera Club blog. I deleted the comment and logged in as me now.
I love these quilts but I don't have the skill or patience to make one. This one looks a great design.

Sharon - Lilabelle Lane said...

I have been admiring this quilt in the book and now I get to watch your grow. I am looking forward to seeing your progress. hugs

Joyful said...

I love the fabrics hanging on the line. xx

Giga said...

Widzę, ze Ci się spodobało szycie bardzo ciekawych i kolorowych kołder. Jesteś cierpliwa, bo sporo przy nich pracy. Czeka na efekt końcowy. Pozdrawiam.
I can see that you liked sewing very interesting and colorful quilts. You are patient, because a lot of the work they do. Waiting for the end result. Yours.

Saskia said...

It looks like a lovely project. Your girls are very lucky that you make things for them.

Susan said...

Love the look of the sunshine in the first photo! This is going to be a lovely quilt! I hope you get some help along the way!

chica said...

Teus trabalhos são lindos! beijos,chica

flowersandhome said...

This will be a wonderful quilt again Karen! Those cutting devices I see on one picture must be so very helpful to cut everything straight and to get the exact right corners.
Marian

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Hi Marian,
The rotary cutter and quilting rulers are brilliant for quilting - and many other sewing jobs too.

Marilyn said...

This is a great quilt for using favourite strips of fabric. Your process is very well explained.

Elise Lea said...

Stunning! I love the quilt pattern that was picked and the fabrics you are using. Did the twins pick the fabric too, or did you decide? Either way the colors and patterns are beautiful (especially in that first photo with the strips hanging in the window). Can't wait to see more!

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Thanks Elise. I've asked the twins which fabrics they like and they pretty much like all my fabrics. One isn't overly keen on pink or red, both like blue. I've asked then to check each pile of fabric as I've selected it to see if there are any they don't like - so far they like everything I've chosen from my stash.

Lisa said...

Oh wow! This is going to be so pretty! I love this quilt design. You have a wonderful talent for sewing. I can't wait to see it all made up!

Sara said...

This is going to be a heavenly quilt!

Gone Country said...

She picked out a lovely quilt! I, too, hope they get involved in making it even if it's a little thing. The quilt will mean that much more to them. Have fun! Can't wait to see it when it's finished...

Anonymous said...

The fabrics are beautiful! :-)

http://tinajoathome.com/

Barb said...

The colors and patterns of the quilt are wonderful. I am all thumbs when it comes to sewing, so the piecing seems quite intricate to me.

hydeeannsews said...

i often photograph my chain piecing because i think it looks so pretty strung up together. just like your strips! that bass line quilt reminds me of books on a shelf. and it's looking lovely!

Anonymous said...

This is another pretty quilt.

Kirsten said...

This will be such a beautiful quilt - love how you are doing the strips!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, this is going to be amazing. So excited to follow your progress.

Michelle said...

So nice to see this type of work. I miss watching my grandmother work with her quilt pieces.

Laura Delegal - Leroy Photography said...

Oh my, I love that pattern. It's in my pattern ideas. Lovely colors.

Bloom said...

This will be such a happy design for your twins! I love your revised method - very clever. I love anything that means there is no waste. Do you know, I have a couple of blocks in that original quilt in Sarah's book. Sarah put out the call when Amy's husband tragically passed away for blocks to be sewn and sent from all over the world in a show of support for Amy and her daughter. Such a wonderful gesture on Sarah's part. Happy sewing!

Rena said...

What a neat idea for a quilt, looks relatively easy. Maybe someday I'll tackle making another one...
Love that parrot photo in the post below. That would be amazing to see that outside my window!

Optimistic Existentialist said...

This is going to be a breathtakingly beautiful quilt :-)

hawknitr13 said...

assembly-line piecing!! i remember the days!! lots of colorful fabrics...and no real pattern to always be referring to... it's random!! love it!!
^)^ linda

Seeing Each Day said...

You have been so productive on the whole quilt making front this year. While I don't have any understanding from the skill point of view, I do get how much pleasure and accomplishment you must feel. Please show us your finished product of this quilt when the time comes.

Anita Johnson said...

I have always wanted to be a quilter...now I know why! This is gorgeous!

Elisabeth said...

Hi Karen, thank you for your kind words on my blog...feeling much better now, but still wobbling around from my twisted ankle.

Love the beautiful fabrics hanging on the line, and the most amazing quilt worked on...such 'labor of love'. I always love coming to your blog, leaving with a smile on my face from all the colorful, and happy photos and stories you tell!

Fun60 said...

I love this design. Do you hand sew all the pieces together?

Sofia said...

Gorgeous design, very clever!

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

It's going to be so pretty!

Liz said...

WOW!! Another gorgeous quilt! You are so gifted... and patient!
Wishing you a wonderful week!

Lynette said...

Hey! My block is in that quilt. :) Your fabrics are beautiful, and you've come up with a really clever way of making the strips.

Unknown said...

WOW! I love all the patterns of the flowers and butterflies. I agree, you're very talented.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...