Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Projects and a New EPP




Every now and then Miss O (11) adds a little more detail to her current wonky star block, it is a delight to watch.




She has completed her first block, Home Sweet Home, and has a few more ideas to try.




 Miss V (9) has completed her second block (above) which shows more thought and skill than her first (below) yet she has decided she is more comfortable playing outside than creating with needle and thread.






Late last week I make good progress sewing more pieces for my Musical Stairs quilt. I have nearly used up all my white fabric but more should arrive in the mail soon.




For many weeks I have been wanting to start a new English Paper Pieced (EPP) project which is great for those times when setting up the sewing machine is inconvenient or not possible (I sew on our dining/homeschooling table). Winter weather seems just right for a little hand sewing and I love to have a portable project on the go.

Last night I experimented with a new design, a mix of two which I have seen recently, firming up my ideas and deciding on a size which seems to suit the block and be easy to work with. 




 I'm really pleased with this selection from my stash for my EPP, I just love them together. Contemplating a beautiful mix of geometry and fabric.






I set about cutting some paper shapes this afternoon, ready for tacking/basting the fabric onto. At this stage I'm not sure if I will make just a single block for a pillow or if I'll keep going to make something larger - time will tell..... 




Whatever you are working on this week, I trust you are enjoying the process.


Sharing at WIP Wednesday.




39 comments:

Joyful said...

I'm impressed with how you manage to make so much quilting progress despite not having a dedicated sewing room. Kudos to you!

Karen Lakis said...

Miss O and Miss V are creating some beautiful stars!

Nancy said...

I'm so happy the girls are learning needlework. It's something they will enjoy for many years, I trust. :)

chica said...

As meninas estão se saindo muito bem!parabéns!beijos,chica

trish said...

Your daughter's stitches are so precious!

Nilya said...

Wonderful work with your daughter :)

Susan said...

I love seeing your designing process Karen! The EPP looks interesting- and I love greens!

Leigh Anne said...

Love seeing little ones doing handwork :) It's a rare thing these days!

Maggie said...

Love those wonky stars! And the color palette for you new quilt is so beautiful.

the momma said...

I love your stack! And your girls' work? amazing!!

geanina said...

amazing work!! :)

Cinzia said...

A wonderful work!!!
Cinzia

Beth said...

The girls are doing beautiful work!

Fun60 said...

The girls are developing such excellent needlework skills. I always enjoy reading about your latest project. That stack of fabrics blend reall well together.

Kelly @ Vintage Fabric Studio said...

The hand work in the wonky stars is just great, what a treasure of your little ones. love it!

Giga said...

Piękne dodatki zrobione przez dzieci do kolejne pięknej kołdry. Pozdrawiam.
Beautiful additions made ​​by the children to another beautiful quilt. Yours.

hydeeannsews said...

all the embroidery projects are wonderful! i love seeing your daughters' work as well as your own.

that fabric pull for your new EPP project is delicious! so colorful yet soothing. i'm just getting started on my very first EPP as we set out on some summer travels - another good time of year to try it. maybe EPP is a technique for all seasons!

TheChieftess said...

sweet!!!

sarah elizabeth :: {no} hats said...

What a beautiful idea, engaging your little misses with some hand sewing to pass the time ;) I can only imagine how thrilling it'll be for them down the road to have something so beautiful that they thoughtfully fashioned from hand on their own. Lovely!

Mirabilys said...

Miss O's embroidery is lovely!
I like your choice of fabrics for the EPP and would love to see your new project.

flowersandhome said...

I'm really anxious to see what this EPP project is about exactly and how it works. looks promising!
Marian

Unknown said...

the girls are doing so well, it will be beautiful when it is finished!

Elise Lea said...

Those blocks are turning out beautifully! You have taught your girls well! :) Can't wait to see more on your paper piecing (love the fabric you pulled) and the concept for the design that we see so far! Also looking forward to more on the musical stairs quilt! Keep up the beautiful sewing!

Kirsten said...

Lovely stitching by the girls and I really like the colours of the fabrics you have selected.

Laura Delegal - Leroy Photography said...

Love them all. Mom embroidered some squares and we have used them in ggrandchildren quilts. Love what you did.

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

What sweet wonky star blocks. And your colors for the EPP project are similar to some I'm using now too. Cool colors are my favorite. BTW Love the name of your blog.

Kim said...

Yikes....geometry! Love your fabric selection for your EPP...should look a treat! Loving the progress of your girls' embroideries...their quilt will be a delight when finished. Happy stitching on those chilly wintry days.

Schulz Family said...

visiting from WIP Wednesday. Wow your girls blocks are amazing. I can't wait to see your EPP block. The suspense!

diane b said...

You are so clever. It all looks amazing and complicated. My project is a photobook of my grandson's first year.

Jana said...

how lovely presented...adorable!

Dianne said...

You must have such fun choosing the fabrics Karen ... colours -fabrics-textures!! Beautiful work by the girls who are creating special memories.

Cathy said...

I 've enjoyed coming home and visiting with you a bit. If you lived *closer* I would ask if I could come and watch you quilt! Truly inspiring you are with your quilt projects. I adore Miss V's embroidery on the quilt squares.

Michelle said...

You, and your little ladies, are a talented group :)

Kerri Farley said...

Truly lovely pieces!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful art work in progress. These things just can't be rushed! LOL!

Susan said...

Wow! Impressive... I am intrigued by how you cut the templates!

Unknown said...

Simply exquisite work by all!

Elisabeth said...

Wow, Karen! Your amazing quilting and stitching throws me back to the days of my mom, aunts and grandmother who used to make all these pretty thing, especially gifted with crocheting doilies and table clothes!

Jeanne said...

I LOVE these stars that she is doing! Just wonderful and so unique!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...