Monday, May 16, 2011

A Daily Joy




One of the things I love about quilt making is knowing the end product is both useful and beautiful. This quilt is the second I have made, sewn at the beginning of last year as a general use quilt. It came with us on our big holiday last year, and is currently in use as a bed topper on my bed. I just love the joy and satisfaction it gives me to glance at it many times a day as I walk up our hallway.




My first quilt was one of pinwheels and prairie points, made by carefully following a Moda Bakeshop pattern. Being a special gift I took extra time and care as I wanted it to be just right. When it came time to make this one it was so simple and quick by comparison. The idea started with a fat quarter I bought at Big W (discount department store). I went looking for fabrics to use with the fat quarter and found a fruit/pine print at half price in a local fabric shop. The top came together quickly, surrounded by one inch multi-coloured border, then more white.




I enjoyed working out the dimensions and pattern according to the prints I chose. I stippled the white, leaving the prints alone. Straight line quilting around the outer border gave a finish I liked.







The simplicity and contrast of colours and white appeal to me. I still love looking at it every day. It has taken me a while to find a pattern I like for a full size quilt for our bed as I had to be sure I would like it even more than this one. At last I think I've found such a pattern. However this quilt will still be in use elsewhere in our home and will remain special to me.

If you're interested in quilting you can browse hundreds of other quilts and their stories over at the Bloggers' Quilt Festival.

13 comments:

Miri said...

Great classic quilt! Beautiful!

Pattilou said...

This is a stunning quilt. Absolutely beautiful in its simplicity and color choice. Truly a keeper. The quilting on the border really adds to this quilt.

Cathy said...

I especially love the photo of the quilt on the grass. I can see why this quilt gives you pleasure when you see it.

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Thank you so much Miri and Pattilou, your words are very affirming.

Thank you Cathy. We went to a local park yesterday around lunch time, collecting my husband from his workplace on the way. The children were given the task of looking for and photographing spiders and insects which we are studying in Science this week. I also took my quilt from our bed to take some more photos. We all had a lovely time in the warm sun, dropping my husband back to work on our way home.

The last photo was taken a while ago outside a local cathedral, the same one shown here http://piecesofcontentment.blogspot.com/2011/02/rare-treat.html

Andrea said...

Hello! I envy the quilting ., Is beautiful(no me sale el acolchado libre,estoy practicando)

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Thank you Andrea. It is not perfect but it is beautiful to me.

Naturally Carol said...

The quilt is beautiful..I love it's simplicity both in colour and in pattern! I am a sewer and not really a quilter..having only done a few mini quilts over the years. I am also a fellow Christian so it is lovely to meet another!

stitchinpenny said...

Love the quilt and the fabrics are so effective on the white. I was surprised at the print in the close up, but happily.

Sarah Craig said...

I love this quilt! It's definitely going on my bucket list - such a simple, yet striking design!! Thanks for sharing!!

Wendi said...

What a beautiful quilt! It's so hard to photograph a large quilt, but your photos turned out well.

Anne Ida said...

That is one beautiful quilt! Simple can be soooo pretty!

KaHolly said...

You did an excellent job!! I just love it. I can't believe you did all that stippling, a venture I haven't been tempted to try yet! ~karen

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...

I am shaking my head, look at that masterpiece and its your second quilt you ever made?? The lines, the quilting, perfection!! One can tell it was a labor of love to be handed down. It lays so perfect on the bed. No waves or ripples. OUTSTANDING!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...