Thursday, January 19, 2012

Labybug Booking Sheet?




Seems to me the ladybugs in our garden have been running their own booking sheet! As I've been looking more carefully, there seems to be a whole new world waiting for me in the garden, almost an unseen realm often hidden from mind (reminds me of the spiritual realm with angles and demons). I have noticed so many different "new" insects, but for today let's enjoy the lovely lady bugs.

The circular ladybug above looks as if it's been polished. I love the little black lip around the edge.




Above and below are similar to the top one but not quite as circular or shiny. Each one has slightly different markings too. I presume each has a unique pattern and could be identified using their markings, like giraffes.







Here's something different, reminiscent of a big drop of black oil, yet definitely an insect/ladybug.




A couple I haven't seen before. Maybe we'll see more of them around in the future.




This shy little one has a more oval shape.




Black and yellow and covered in a fine dusty yellow fuzz.




I love the deeper colours of this one which I shared last week. All the others above I've spotted in the last few days.





This morning I wasn't expecting to find any new ladybugs but look what I found! I've never seen one like it before.




This Oleander Butterfly was out collecting nectar in this morning's sunshine.




No, not a ladybug but a delightful sight all the same.

Thank you for enjoying my finds with me today. It's just a year since I began blogging, I'm lost for words  to express how enriching this journey has been for me so far, let me just thank you for making it such an incredible experience.

Sharing at This or That Thursday.

30 comments:

geanina said...

very interesting captures! :) nice work...

Joyful said...

fantastic photos!

Thea said...

Ahhhhhh....just gorgeous! I've had my awesome photography fix for the day! Thank you!! :)

Joop Zand said...

BEAUTIFUL pictures with nice light and lovely colors.

you are great Karen....thanks for sharing.

Greetings, Joop

Isabelle said...

what a beautiful way to celebrate this kind of birthday!
Thank you :)

eileeninmd said...

Wow, gorgeous images of the ladybugs and the butterflies. Just amazing detail and color. I hope you have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Your photos are always a pure delight in the morning. These lady bugs are beautiful, I didn't know they could be of different colours (we have only red/orange and black ones here!)

Betty Manousos said...

wow! your photos are really SUNNING!!

your pictures are always worth the look!

loving your blog, great music, too.
i really enjoyed my visit here.
thank you!
xo betty

penny said...

How lovely that you have a wonderful new family of ladybugs living in you garden. Congratulations on you first year of blogging, Karen.
:)

Anonymous said...

So wunderschöne Fotos und ich sehne mich sehr nach dem Sommer.
Bei uns ist alles grau und es regnet.

Herzlichst ♥ Marianne

Giga said...

Świetne, tyle różnych biedronek jeszcze nie widziałam. Czerwona bez plamek jest urocza. Motyl też oczywiście piękny, jak i wszystkie zdjęcia . Pozdrawiam. *** Great, so many ladybirds have not yet seen. Red without spots is adorable. Butterfly, of course, beautiful, and all the photos. Yours.

Sylvia K said...

I never thought I'd say that I "love bugs"!!, but I do love yours! Such terrific, "up close and personal" captures, beautiful colors and, of course, the butterfly is breathtaking! I've never seen one that color! Thank you so much, as always, for sharing the beauty of your world! Hope you've had a great week!

Sylvia

Emreen said...

Awesome snaps... Lovely shots of the lady bug and butterfly... !!

Marijke said...

You don't need a new camera Karen. The photo's are gorgeous.
gr. Marijke

Juliana said...

Well...very informative post!
Beautiful photos!

Michael (Light-In-A-Box) said...

Hello, very nice photography you have on your blog. Thanks for your visit to my blog on Jan 4 2012, sorry I did not reply, I did not even see it until today! Keep up the beautiful photos!

Wenche said...

Wondeful shots of the ladybug, so clear and bright :0)

betty-NZ said...

It's awesome what you can find by just looking around! Great shots.

Unknown said...

WOW!! So many wonderful photos here. Love them all!!!

Hugs, Linda

Becky from BeckyandJames.com said...

Beautiful photos. I love ladybugs, but it seems we don't have them in our new place.
I've not ever seen one without spots before. I wonder if that's normal at all.
Thanks for sharing!

Gillian Olson said...

I've never seen such an array of lady bugs before, clever you for finding them all. The butterflies are lovely too.

Nadege, said...

Ladybugs are meant to be good luck.
You have captured some lovely close up of the bugs and butterflies. Never seen a ladybug without spots.

Seeing Each Day said...

So interesting to see all the different types of ladybugs - just in one yard. All fine photos of them all. I'm also learning from you in terms of when you names for eg the butterflies - a butterfly was always simple a pretty delicate butterfly to me but I'm picking up on all the different names you're giving them. Your last shot is my absolute pick of the day.

forgetmenot said...

No ladybugs around here until Spring. You, once again, have taken some lovely photos. I always enjoy listining to the music and chirping birds while I leave a comment--very relaxing. Have a lovely weekend. Mickie :)

Ruby said...

the (black oil) bug is fabulous!! Fantastic photos. Cheers!

Dave said...

Your photos of lady bugs - ladybirds as we call them - are great, as are all of your photos that I have seen today. Did you know that lady bugs are carniverous and can bite you? I have been bitten by them several times - Dave

Liz said...

Gorgeous images of lady bugs. You have such a wonderful array of insects in your yard.

deb duty said...

Wow! Amazing images and so close!

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Hi Anonymous, received your comment. Thank you for your encouragement.
You can subscribe via email at the very bottom of the page.

:)

Jana said...

simply fantastic set and selection of different representatives of the lady bug family...i had last month one living at home (outside were some minus 10 degrees) and she/he was happy with the lices on my pepper pot...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...