Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Mini Pincushion




For far too long I have been using a scrappy off-cut for my epp pincushion. Difficult to find due to its size and requiring two hands to add or remove pins and needles, it was becoming a source of frustration.

I'd thought long and hard about what to replace The Scrap with. It had to be free standing, not too light weight, yet small enough that it would fit (lying on its side) into the flat food container I keep all my hexie goodies in.







Searching through the kitchen late last night I found this small measure from the top of a medicine bottle. It was just the size I was looking for. Then I discovered that 20 cent coins fit inside perfectly to weight the base.




This morning I used double sided craft tape to fix some fabric to the measure, quick and easy. No doubt a glue gun may work just as well.






After some trial and error regarding size, I completed the pincushion top. I needed a circle of fabric about 14.5cm /6" in diameter. Filled with polyester fibre, a quick running stitch pulled it into shape. I also used a few stitches to create bit of a neck to better fit the base.









I pushed the top into the base and was pleased to discover it fits so snugly that no adhesive is required to secure it. Three coins in the base add sufficient stability and weight.




Here it sits with the three new hexie flowers made over the last week, along with little stacks from previous weeks. One day soon I'll set out all the completed flowers for my Fresh Fields quilt and see how they are beginning to look together, until then I'll keep adding slowly to their number.




 I really like my mini pincushion, it reminds me of a potted plant - and if I'm ever really stuck for a little more money, I'll know where to look!


Sharing at WIP Wednesday.


26 comments:

Celtic Thistle said...

Smart upcycle, the coins in the base to weight it are genius!

黄清华 Wong Ching Wah said...

From the thumbnail, I thought it was a cupcake !

Giga said...

Pomysłowa jesteś i najważniejsze, że po jego realizacji jesteś z efektu zadowolona. Mnie się też podoba. Pozdrawiam.
The clever you are, and most importantly, that after its implementation are happy with the result. I also like it. Yours.

Kim said...

Very cute pincushion Karen. I am looking forward to seeing your fresh fields hexie quilt.

chica said...

Muito lindo! beijos, tudo de bom,chica

Dirk Rosin said...

stilig serie :-)

DeborahGun said...

its very cute, and matches your hexies perfectly :-)

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a sweet idea!

the momma said...

cute!! and functional - plus, it matches your flowers perfectly :-)

Sandra from NC said...

Love this idea! and what cute gifts it would make. thank you for sharing!!!

Jeanne said...

I absolutely LOVE this, and how innovative. It is just perfect and so colorful. Hugs to you from Texas!

geanina said...

love this idea! :)

Leanne Parsons said...

Smart use of a medicine cup! I might just need to make one of these myself.

Eva said...

Sehr schön ♥

Liebe Grüße Eva

Susan said...

What a sweet and clever idea! You never know when you are looking for some change too!

Marsha Cooper said...

You leave money inside of it? woo hoo :)

I was thinking for weight using washers bought at the hardware store.
Some of the ladies that I sew with use the huge washers from the hardware store to weigh down their patterns and fabrics when cutting.

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Hi Marsha,

That would work too. I didn’t want to wait any longer (for a trip to the hardware store) but could replace the coins later if I wish.

Barb said...

It reminds me of a little ice cream cone - I must be hungry! Ingenious.

Cathy said...

Karen,
I have been giving thought to your hexagons. How long does it take you to make one? I almost pinned them to my sewing board, but I did not know if I would ever have the patience to make more than one or two.

But that does not change their fascination! They are beautiful.

mrs.hands said...

Thanks for your comment!
This little pin cushion is simply adorable. ^^

Kels said...

That is so cute, easy, and adorable! I need one :)

flowersandhome said...

Beautiful idea Karen, and so very practical as well. Love the colours you use here.
Marian

Seeing Each Day said...

I love this solution - knowing the bit of you that I do I'm guessing that you'll get lots of pleasure from using this new pin cushion, and from my end, the colour co-ordination is just pleasure enough, hope you have a good weekend, Renee.

Fun60 said...

Such a simple but clever idea.

hydeeannsews said...

how very sweet and useful, too! I love it. =) the last photo is especially nice.

how is the project coming along? did you finish peaceful night yet? I don't recall seeing a finish on it.

Elise Lea said...

What a lovely pin cushion! I completely agree that it does look like a potted plant and it is just so perfect!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...