Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Appreciating the Details






I love the details of life which macro photography yields to me. As one walks around looking for possible points of interest to photograph, your eyes seem to become open to treasures which have previously lain undiscovered. 

For the first time in several months, I attached my clip-on macro lens to my fixed zoom Lumix super zoom (no, you don't need a DSLR, although I use it on my DSLR too) and went searching for macro finds around our backyard early this morning. The first creature at top, which is longer than the yellow ladybug above, is indeed the ladybug larvae of this variety. Through my interest in macro work I have previously had the joy of witnessing ladybug larvae hatching.






The heart of this zinnia flower had some tiny yellow buds.




Two hours later, if you look carefully you can see that they have popped open! Digital photography is a wonderful way to notice and record changes, even over the short term.




The very heart of an small orange zinnia.




Tightly clenched fists of a parsley flower/seed head.




And to my delight I discovered some tiny buds on our newest Australian native plant, the Black Magic Banksia. The tag says "long bud anticipation" - I'll have the pleasure of watching the "candle-like golden flowers, with maroon styles maturing to black-purple" develop for the first time over the coming weeks and months. 

When I take the time to look more closely at what lies before my eyes I am rewarded with not only a greater awareness but a deeper appreciation too.


Photographic note: All photos taken in our backyard this morning with my small clip-on Raynox Macro Conversion lens DCR-250 (less than $100) and my fixed lens Lumix super zoom FZ35. I don't own a tripod.


Sharing at Sarah's Macro Monday.



32 comments:

Joy said...

I just love your.macro pictures.
I will buy macro lens one day:)

geanina said...

lovely photos! :)

Unknown said...

Dear you
I love your macros. They are so intens and expressiv!
JetteMajken

marmarel said...

Your pictures are so beautiful to look at!
Greetings from Marijke

Fun60 said...

Photography does make you far more aware of your surroundings.

EricaSta said...

Lovely scene sin your garden, viewing the nature is always amazing. Love it!
We have now springtime here and each week are more blooms growing, getting green.
Dear Karen, last week I got Waterlogue! Hurrah, it's so fantastic to create pictures with this App.

Many, many greetings by Heidrun

chica said...

MARAVILHOSAS!!!!beijos,chica

Anonymous said...

Holy macro! Your captures are amazing. I do love how macro photography opens up a new world! Thanks so much for linking up. I truly enjoyed each photo!

Unknown said...

Awesome Macros my friend. So much wonderful detail in the smallest of things.

Hugs~

Elise Lea said...

Amazing! The things we often miss because we don't take the time to look for the small things in life. You have such an eye for beauty.

amanda said...

The vivid colors in your backyard macro shots are so uplifting!
I particularly like the parsley shot.
I agree, we gain so much when we look closer.
I'm reminded of the Woodsworth quote, "Come forth into the light of things, let Nature be your teacher."

Barb said...

Karen, I haven't used my Raynox in months. I find myself a little too unsteady when snapping to get the kind of clear macros that you do. I'll have to try again when I go to the city. I enjoyed your bursts of color today.

Evelyn ~ Indigo Beach Art said...

Lovely macro images!

flowersandhome said...

Gorgeous macro photos Karen!
Marian

Charlotte Wilson said...

Karen, I just love to come and look at your wonderful Macros and see your native plants.

Lisa Gordon said...

These are gorgeous, Karen!
Just today, I was thinking that it won't be long before I put my macro lens on again. It's been a loooooong winter.

Have a wonderful evening!

Dirk Rosin said...

en flott serie av makro bilder ! :-)

Laura Delegal - Leroy Photography said...

Oh, my!

Seeing Each Day said...

Particularly love your 2nd and 5th shot. I'm reading a book with my Yr 7 class at the moment and the young female character talks about taking in the detail, not only with her drawing but also just being quiet and listening. This kind of resonates in your shots today. Hope your week is going ok, Renee.

Giga said...

Uwielbiam Twoje zdjęcia makro, bo można zobaczyć szczegóły, których oko ludzkie nie zauważy. *** Mam u siebie trochę przerwy, więc przepraszam, że nie będę zaglądać do Ciebie. Pozdrawiam.
I love your macro, because you can see the details that the human eye does not notice. *** I got home a little break, so I'm sorry that I will not look for you. Yours.

Kim said...

Clip-on macro lens, Lumix super zoom,DSLR....it all seems another language to me....when I grow up, Karen, I want to be a photographer just like you!!

Anita Johnson said...

I love zinnias...almost like flowers within flowers.

Linda said...

Absolutely gorgeous.

Viera said...

your macro pictures are so beautiful... Thanks for sharing...

Vision By Mila said...

I love macro photos! Can't wait for spring, so flowers bloom and we get some color, I'll get my macro lens out!

Pieni Lintu said...

So cool!!!


http://www.pienilintu.blogspot.fi/

Linda said...

Neat! I don't do macro very often. Nice work!

Dorothy said...

Hi Karen, what an amazing micro world in your backyard!! Thanks for sharing what we pass everyday, but just don't see.

Blessings for a great weekend,
Dotti :)

Jeanne said...

I just love your macro photography Karen, and it is so wonderful to have the opportunity to see how God has created all of this diversity and beauty, with great attention to even the tiniest detail. How incredible to watch even these tiny details, and hard to hold the camera still enough to get these details in such clarity. I just made a "tripod" which is a bag filled tightly with beans to stabilize my camera on these tiny objects. Really helps me as my hand is not always quite steady enough to get these small details in tight focus. Your shots and perspective are great!

Ranten said...

Beautiful macro photos!

Liz said...

All such gorgeous images, Karen! You have an incredible gift with your macros and obviously a very steady hand.

monique's mess said...

wow impressed by your photographic eye, love the macro work

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...