Saturday, February 14, 2015

Wollomombi Falls




Now how's that for a crazy name - if you thought is must be an Australian Aboriginal word, you would be right. 'Wollomombi' is a derivative of an Aboriginal word for 'Meeting Place' as this is where two rivers plunge over the plateau top to the gorge floor - the Wollomombi on the left and the Chandler a little further back on the right.

These falls are about 40km east of Armidale along the Waterfall Way, not far from our accidental detour to Hillgrove. It is a little difficult to accurately show their size but these falls are one of the highest in Australia, and the highest falls in our state of NSW. 




Here you can see a section of the Wollomombi Falls. The amount of water coming over the falls ranges from a trickle to a torrent depending on recent rainfall.






There are several picnic areas and walking tracks. We headed off along one which began to steeply descend. I asked J to stop - as in - where are we going??? For if we take a long steep track down to the gorge floor, it will be a very long, hot, hard climb back to the top again. We had other places we wanted to visit and it was already afternoon. Thankfully it was decided to enjoy the view a little longer and head off to our next stop.




Looking downstream and out towards the Pacific Ocean which is just beyond view.




And I was somewhat relieved when J came back from the rocky edge of this drop too - he may be 20 but he still enjoys an 'adventure'.

19 comments:

Liz Needle said...

Beautiful rugged country. I have never visited that part of NSW. Must remedy that.

liniecat said...

An Incredibla landscape to be a part of - what an amazing sight!

Giga said...

I love the view of the falling water, or waterfalls. Are shown in a very interesting place and make a big impact. Regards.

Erin said...

I've never been that way!! Incredible!! I also would have been calling J to come back, now!

eileeninmd said...

Gorgeous view of the waterfalls. It is best to get too close to the edge..I am glad your J came back from his exploring.. Have a happy weekend!

FilipBlog said...

Most be a great hike.

Greetings,
Filip

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Waterfalls are always beautiful and fascinating. Thanks for sharing this fantastic beauty that surrounds you there.

Happy Valentine's Day ~ FlowerLady

SarahZ said...

First of all, let me tell you I love your new header!!
Secondly, you have really been getting around! What an amazing day(s?)you had! The falls and the surrounding area are spectacularly rugged and gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing so much with us!!!

Unknown said...

That looks like a great hike my friend. And that waterfall is beautiful.

Hugs~

maryandpatch.blogspot.com said...

Very impressing, and beautiful pictures!

Rachaeldaisy said...

Absolutely beautiful!! The scenery , and your photos. I've now added these falls to my Must Visit list. I get caught out with those steep accents living where I do, it's so easy going down but a real workout coming up.

geanina said...

Very beautiful pictures!

Michelle said...

Your photos capture the beauty of this place very well!

Kirsten said...

It is a lovely area - we stopped there on our way home from Tamworth a few years back but there was very little water at the falls due to the drought at the time.

Kim said...

Aah yes....whenever one goes down, one must always come up again! Glorious waterfall, stunning and rugged scenery. What a lovely adventure you all seemed to have had!

Joy said...

Certainly an awesome place to visit:)

Dirk Rosin said...

beautiful landscape !!

Teresa Duryea Wong said...

Your photos always leave me with such a peaceful feeling... a world away from the uber urban world I spend most of my time in. Lovely work.

amanda said...

I have rock edge explorers, too.. I always feel my heart settle down a great deal when they come back away from the edge!
What a great outing this was.. a wonderful, memorable kind of day.
I've all my life wished to visit Australia and thought it beautiful.. but you introduced me to parts of it I hadn't known or imagined before.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...