There has been more sewing, pressing and trimming than originally anticipated, for I decided such a beautiful classic deserves to be made into a larger, more versatile, quilt. To date I have completed 121 Flying Geese blocks, which means I must now have 242 offcuts, simultaneously sewn into half square triangles for a future project.
While cutting extra fabric strips I made an interesting discovery. The Moody Blues* fabrics which I had bought from Spotlight (on a long roll) here in Australia is wider! A full 44" after washing, compared to a scant 42" of the same print manufactured for the US market. The print has the same number of repeats, yet different length, as if the US one shrank (it is sold double folded, on a bolt).
As you can see below, the selvedges have a slightly different finish too and the Spotlight base fabric is a shade lighter and some of the prints are crisper. Both fabrics are certified organic and beautiful.
The plan is to make seven rows of 21 geese blocks, with each row separated by a narrow strip of the dotted fabric above. I'm not sure whether to proceed with sewing the rows/top together or to wait until Spotlight has a fabric sale** which would save me a good deal on purchase of Moody Blues fabric for backing and binding. Maybe I'll let things settle in my mind for a day or so while thinking about what to make with the very Australian 'Landscape' fabric shared in my previous post.....
**Two days later these fabrics were reduced on a one-day sale at Spotlight - backing is now purchased!
Sharing at WIP Wednesday.