Friday, August 19, 2011

Edible Beauty




As much as I love the beauty of flowers, I equally appreciate the visual delights of our few edible plants. This afternoon I went looking in our garden, between showers, to see what I could find. My style of gardening tends to be a mix of organic and low maintenance/neglect with mixed results......

Next to our pool we have parsley, chives, silver beet, spinach and a huge curry plant as well as some Australian natives, poppies and other young decorative plants. This paling fence was replaced 12 months ago so we have been working on establishing a replacement garden there.




I love having some fresh clean silver beet to add to omelettes and salads. I'm rather fond of this plant, finding it quite eye-catching.




A mix of snow peas, sugar snap and ordinary peas provide early "birds" with little snacks.








 Above is our broccoli plant which has bolted to flower and seed. The children tend to believe I only plant broccoli to support their caterpillar growing activites which they have eagerly pursued over winter. Now the flowers are attracting bees, ready subjects for budding photographers.




We have a row of broad beans still flowering, no pods visible as yet.


Chosen as a favourite in LEM challenge.

And lots of self-sown tom thumb tomato seedlings are poking their heads up, hoping for spring.

Sharing at Live Every Moment: Organic, Photo Story Friday, Sneak Peak Friday, Good Life Wednesday.

20 comments:

Seraphinas Phantasie said...

This is a wonderful garden with lovely flowers and good vegetables. So I hope, springtime is coming ?

Have a nice weekend.
Kind regards,
Synnöve

Joop Zand said...

Lovely sharp pictures..... very nice.

greetings, Joop

deb duty said...

You have a beautiful garden and your photos are lovely!

Nancy said...

Almost too pretty to eat. Lovely photos today. :)

Anonymous said...

I do like the landscape shot.

Bren Graham Thebeau said...

That is one terrific garden you have and the images are fantastic, you have me drooling :-)

Reena said...

Love this kind of garden! Except I would be fighting with the birds for those snap peas.

Anonymous said...

What delicious greenery!

Leesha said...

yum, yum, and yum!

Nayana said...

wow...you have a wonderful garden...someday give us your whole garden tour.

Susan said...

How pretty, and what a great way to grow your garden!

Hope you're having a blessed day!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful garden!

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

They are all so pretty as well as yummy. I love that! Gorgeous photos of your wonderful edible area! :)

Stasha said...

I never knew broccoli flowers so beautifully. Great shots. Love the idea of edible garden by the pool. Talk about a great snack after swimming!

黄清华 Wong Ching Wah said...

A "Healthy" Pool ...

Sara said...

What a lovely garden, looks so healthy and well tended! I really should give my garden some more TLC.

Junelle Jacobsen said...

Mmmm....the green just feeds my heart. Delicious macros and such a delightful mix for a garden. xo

abeachcottage said...

Lovely garden you have and great pics too! Thanks for sharing at Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays.

Robin Norgren, M.A, R-YT, Spiritual Director said...

what a lovely peek- inspiring and beautiful (AND EDIBLE- YOU CAN'T BEAT IT!)

Lisa said...

I honestly think you could take anything and photograph it and it would be stunning. In my eyes and view they are. Brilliant work , hobby and wow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...